In beating Neil Robertson and Peter Ebdon to reach the semi-finals of the PokerStars.com Masters, where he meets Mark Williams, O’Sullivan has again entertained but, at least in public, drew scant satisfaction from his push towards a fifth Masters title.
Showman and indefatigable entrepreneur that he is, Hearn is acutely aware of the key role O’Sullivan must fill if snooker, according to Hearn “very much alive but in need of stimulus”, is to reverse the financial, image and general status meltdown suffered in recent years.
A schoolboy when they were introduced, O’Sullivan has described the gregarious, energetic 61-year-old as a father figure, and enthusiastically supported his installation as chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association last month.
They remain firm friends but Hearn has an overriding desire to “bring fun” back into snooker. O’Sullivan’s joylessness throughout the week has not escaped his attention.
“For a young bloke with everything, he’s a miserable bastard,” Hearn said. “When you win a match, look happy. I’ve watched him and, like everyone else, I think he’s played tremendously. I’ll be talking to him about it.
“Ronnie is hugely important to snooker and a good lad. He gives the press more to write about than anyone and I need him to be my flag-bearer.”
Hearn also revealed that snooker’s flag is to be raised in Berlin in February next year when the German capital will host a world-ranking tournament for the first time. Even though it has yet to develop a player of even remotely international amateur standard, the green-baize bug has infected many in Germany.
There is also a snooker boom in Eastern Europe — especially Poland, Czech Republic and Russia — thanks to Eurosport’s coverage of all leading tournaments. Rolf Kalb, the channel’s German language commentator, has become something of a celebrity. Unlike the sport’s previous administration, Hearn is determined to drill that rich well of popularity.
Mark Selby, a master of brinkmanship at Wembley, reached the semi- finals for the third year in succession with a 6-5 win over Mark Allen last night, having trailed 5-4.
When the closing two frames, both of which developed into wars of attrition lasting more than 35 minutes, fell to the stubborn Selby, it meant that he had survived all six of his matches at the Masters that have gone the distance. He plays Stephen Maguire.
Maguire advanced by beating a woefully out of form Ryan Day 6-1. “I didn’t play at all. It just showed how much Ryan was struggling. I’m a pal of his so I can say this,” Maguire said.
Source: The Times Online
No comments:
Post a Comment